March 19, 2019
The one who wants to get an academic degree has to write all kinds of papers: from traditional essays and research works to lab reports and discussion board posts. Critical film review writing is also not an unusual task. Still, you can rarely find online questions such as: how to critique a film? Learners often treat this assignment carelessly, as it contains an element of entertainment – watching movies. However, this is more than a simple synopsis of the plot and description of the main characters. Read our article to learn what a movie critique is and how to write it correctly.
Many first-year students and even senior ones are confused with the difference between the critical film review and movie critique. Therefore, the main tip on how to write a movie critique properly is to clarify the difference between a review and critique of a film. It is pretty easy when you realize that a film review is a way to discuss the plot, summarize it, and express your final opinion. Meanwhile, a movie critique paper requires you to conduct an in-depth analysis, draw attention to the characters’ speech, stylistic devices, settings and backstage, the symbolism of the scenes and their dynamics, reasons for the applied sound and video effects, etc. If you realize these things and like the chosen film, you will have no questions on how to write a movie critique.
Still, if you struggle with your writing, you have two options. The first one is as follows: you can easily order a movie critique paper in one of the reliable writing companies, for example, Essaysleader.com. This agency will provide you with well-written academic papers for a decent price. You will reap the benefits of the skillfully written paper and receive a high grade. The second one lies in the fact that you can use the following free and efficient tips on how to critique a movie provided by our highly-professional experts and film critics. Of course, we highly encourage you to write a paper by yourself to improve your writing and critical thinking skills. These tips will definitely help you, so keep reading to find out more!
Seven Steps in Writing a Movie Critique
Few can answer precisely how to critique a movie since there are many various strategies and approaches nowadays. Therefore, we have gathered, analyzed, and summarized the most effective tips on how to write a movie critique easily and creatively.
- First and foremost, to write a movie critique it is recommended to watch the film before writing a paper. The main task is not just to enjoy watching the movie as we usually do it on Friday evenings yet to be attentive to the tiniest details, characters, and dialogs. In other words, we should note some things we like and dislike in the particular motion picture. Depending on the film, you will notice different things. Therefore, we cannot tell what exactly you should draw your attention to, but we can recommend you to write down everything that caught your attention. The best way not to miss anything is to follow your feelings. It will make your paper one hundred percent unique.
- How to critique a movie with regard to the so-called film structure? Similarly to the novel, each movie has a preface, central theme, climax, and narrative closure or outcome. It is highly significant to know and be able to distinguish the main elements of the film. Also, it is important to interpret them correctly. Thus, you will have a couple of words on the main aspects of each section.
- How to write a movie critique providing analysis of the main and minor characters? The film cannot exist without the variety of characters with diverse features. Usually, each of them can act like a positive or negative hero. More often than not, each character has a mixture of positive and negative traits. One of the critical tips on how to critique a movie is figure out the characteristics of each character and their role in this film. Even if it seems an unimportant or minor character, he or she may have a huge impact on the plot. Use some strategies on how to critique a movie character paying attention to the physical and psychological peculiarities.
- The next tip on how to write a movie critique is strongly related to the film actors, director, producer, release data, sound, and visual effects. Obviously, it is highly critical to observe each of these elements to realize the main idea of the film. Experts believe that analyzing all those things is the best tip on how to critique a movie in-depth. There are a few examples of why this strategy is efficient. Usually, a lot of films are dedicated to a particular event, date, or person, especially historical, documentary, etc. Realizing this director’s idea will definitely tell you a lot about the whole film. It provides you with a film skeleton you may use for further analysis. On the contrary, analyzing sound and visual effects helps you to describe what kind of emotions and feelings this film evokes. Also, the chosen cast of the film may tell you some hidden information and shed light on some interesting things that were not considered before.
- Do not retell the whole film and be concise – this is our next piece of advice on how to critique a movie. Provide only those examples which prove your arguments or assist in explaining a bigger idea or concept.
- Make up a strict paper plan and follow it. Use the film critique outline provided below as your tangible writing help, in case you have no additional instructions from your professor. In most cases, all academic papers consist of five main sections:
- General information about the film (director, title, data release), reasons you have chosen it (what attracts you), and your thesis, namely what problems or ideas you want to consider.
- Tell a few words about the film and describe its plot briefly.
- Include some details on settings, main film elements/characters, and movie type/style.
- Provide your readers with a deep analysis of all those things you consider significant for understanding the whole idea of the film. Use relevant examples and citations while writing your work. This will be your advantage.
- Come back to your thesis and make a summary based on analyzed arguments and facts. You should also provide your perspective and recommend the movie to a particular audience.
- Make sure that you do not need to use a completely different format. With advancements in technology such a non-traditional movie critique format as video essay appeared. This audio-visual form of communication presents one with unique opportunities to impress the audience. Here, sounds and images amplify the power of words, acting like a completely new instrument for passing information. You have the opportunity to make your argument using the filmmaker’s work and looking at it from a new perspective. One more advantage of the video essay is that it offers a possibility to show some scenes or objects that can speak for themselves. Meanwhile in a traditional critique paper the author has to describe the visuals. Of course, innovative ways to present your essay are rare guests in college and university programs. Still, it is good to know that there are such types of work like this one.
- The last but not the least word of advice is to edit your paper. Many students skip the proofreading and editing stage. Try to make your paper readable and attractive! This is the final tip on how to write a movie critique from our experts!
For more information on how to write a movie critique correctly and where to get help in critique writing, look at our article “Movie Critique: Professional Guidelines“.
Of course, if you are short on time or have other deadlines, you may choose among the existing professional writing services: send your draft and they will help you to compose your paper while you have fun with your friends. Never give up! Good luck! Just do it!
You may find it interesting:
How to Write a Manga Script How to Write Your First Fantasy Novel Helpful Advice When You Need To Write an Interview Essay