Movie Critique: Professional Guidelines
If you do not know how to write a movie critique, you might easily mistake this assignment for a movie review. However, there is a difference between these two paper types. While a movie review describes the opinion of the writer, a critique focuses on production and analyzes the advantages and disadvantages of the movie in order to provide recommendations on what could have been improved to attract a wider audience. If you do not know how to write a movie critique for school, start by asking yourself the following questions:
- Is this an original film or a part of some franchise? Does it fit the series?
- What inspired the author of the story? Was it a novel, story, or real-life events or people?
- Did the plot writer manage to create a captivating story? Have all questions been answered by the end of the film?
- What about the rhythm of the movie? Is it smooth or dynamic? Is the story clear or filled with unnecessary details?
- Can you understand who the target audience of the movie is?
- Can you think of any other similar or related movies on the same topic?
- Was the cinematography successful? Did the director choose effective production techniques (shots, sound, etc.)? Do they contribute to the purpose and the atmosphere of the movie?
- The movie entertaining or serious? Does it touch on any topical issues?
- Do you think that the cast is appropriate? Did the actors manage to get into their characters?
- What kind of atmosphere does the movie have? Is it joyful / romantic / tense, etc.?
Once you answer all these questions, you can say that you have done half of the work writing a movie critique. Of course, this will be only a rough draft and much will have to be improved but now you know how to write a movie critique. Below, we are describing some of the most effective techniques that will help you create an impressive paper.
A Quick Guide on How to Write a Film Critique Essay
Getting started is always the hardest. At this point, you have to choose the approach to writing and set the pace. If you have no idea where to start, try some of the techniques discussed below:
- Watch the assigned movie and write down the main events, characters’ names, and all the details that attract your attention. Many students decide to rely on their memory but it is a trap you should not fall into. You will definitely forget something important, so it is better to use your notebook when preparing to write a movie critique essay.
- Do a research. When hearing ‘movie critique assignment’, most students will not even think of research. However, painstaking research is the basis of a well-written critique. If you are familiar with the movie background, such as how the story was made, what the director is good at, which locations were chosen, what inspired the writer, etc., you will be able to perform a deeper analysis of the movie and produce a well-thought-out paper.
- Analyze the movie after watching it. Do not rush into writing a critique right after you have seen the credits. Give yourself some time to let the emotions settle and understand what the movie was really about and what the director was meaning to say. The authors of brilliant reviews usually re-watch the movie to reach a whole new level of understanding it.
- Study the characters. Jot down some ideas about them as you watch the movie. Define the protagonist, antagonist, and supporting characters and think about the purpose of each in the film. Do they represent some aspects of human relationships? Take into consideration the settings because it might play a defining role in how the story unfolds. For example, in a movie about natural disasters the nature might be a leading character, as well.
- The influence of characters and director. Taking into account the people who created the movie gives you a better understanding of it. Of course, you do not have to write about all people who participated in the process. However, think about the style of the director, the strengths of the leading actors, cameramen, etc. and how they contributed to the movie.
- Create an outline. This is a necessary step you should take if you want your paper to be cohesive and well-organized.
- Support your claims with evidence. For example, if you criticize the plot for the holes it has, make sure you provide examples of such holes. The same applies to your comments on dialogues, cinematic techniques, and so on. Successful examples will make your arguments more convincing, and this is exactly what you need if you want your movie critique to be powerful.
- Comment on the originality o the movie. Conclude by saying if the movie stands out and justify your conclusion.
Movie Critique Writing Service
If you do not know how to write a movie critique but you still need a flawless paper, you can try professional movie critique writing services. To write a strong critique, you should watch the movie more than once and be familiar with all the subtleties of this paper type. This task is rather time-consuming but you cannot give up on it because it will harm your academic performance.
If you are striving to succeed at college, be sure to submit all the assignments on time. However, keep in mind that even the most diligent students need some help every now and then.
Essaysleader.com provides professional writing services. We have a vast team of experts with PhD and MA degrees and huge experience. Try our affordable services and we will help you achieve even the boldest academic goals!